Sunday, June 6, 2010

Why Cleveland Matters: The Purpose


Today, I begin my own of journey of answering one question:

Why Does Cleveland Matter?

Many of you are probably wondering why I would embark on such a task. Well, the reason is quite simple. I was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio in the Union Miles-Mt. Pleasant neighborhood. It’s a community that I have grown to love and admire over the years. Which is striking considering it’s one of the most impoverished neighborhoods in all of Cleveland. Yet, what’s made this neighborhood close to my heart is that it has shaped everything about me today. Growing up on these streets, I was taught the importance of self-reliance, determination, and respect. These invaluable lessons were given to me by my family and neighbors who saw something special in me. To them, it was their God given duty to make sure that I did not travel down the path that continues to detract so many children living in underserved communities. As I live in this country today, as a college graduate and rising civic and business leader, I can truly say that I’m blessed for their love and guidance throughout my life.

Like many metropolitan areas across America, Cleveland is faced with many challenges. From a failing school system to persistent crime and poverty; creating an economic and social climate to make Cleveland a competitive city in the 21st century seems like an elusive prize. However, the purpose of this blog is to articulate the exact opposite. Cleveland and its greater metropolitan area have all of the assets to become a world class city. Our destiny is one that has yet to be fully realized, and the promise of its future prosperity lies in its ability to realize that its best days are ahead.

Over the course of this blogs evolution, I will discuss issues in education, business, politics, urban revitalization, and culture that all play a role in stating Cleveland’s case for relevance in the 21st century. All in all, it’s my desire to use this blog as a vehicle to answer that fundamental question:

Why Does Cleveland Matter?

1 comment: